happily ever after: Lil' Smokies

Monday, January 21, 2008

Lil' Smokies


(this is my sister and our mom, aren't they cute?)

I miss my sister today. I don't know if I'm feeling over sensitive or if it's because I went to Walmart this morning. You see my sister is the Queen of frugality, she gets it from our dad, who got it from his parents, I'm just thankful that she doesn't re-use the ziploc baggies like grandma did. Oh, don't get me wrong, she loves to buy pretty little things like I do, but she also, OFTEN times says NO to things that she doesn't have a need for, a desire to carry around for the rest of the day, a place to put it, she's not jumping up and down with the excitement of having it. Unlike me, who'll buy anything just because I sort of like it. No matter that I have no room for it, my sweetie really doesn't want me to buy it, I have 14 1/2 of them at home, just like it. You see she doesn't have a full attic of things she's just not using, or scary closets that are full of items galore. Her house is clutter free, she calls it 'simple lines' I call it 'sparse'! Of course she calls my house 'country froo-froo', I call it 'french country farmhouse cottage', thank you very much! :o)

Anyway, back to Walmart, it always instills in me a sense that I'm being frugal. No matter that I can't seem to leave the place without finding all sorts of things that we're out of and NEED! I can't walk out without spending at least $100,why is that? And now that we live in the South, you know what I'm going to say aren't you? Yes, going to the Walmart is like an event. You can spend hours in there, just getting lost. The Super Walmart Center stores are an experience all in themselves. I don't go very often, because it's normally crowded and it's 5 mins more on the road further than my Super Target, and HELLO???? Target is just my little paradise.

Anywho, I'm at Walmart this morning and I missed my sister. She would whole heartedly agree with my purchase of extra toothbrushes at 'buy two get one free' price. The two packs of yogurts for 5 dollars. The fact that I could buy my milk, bread, eggs, potting soil, car battery, hunting knife, new bathroom towels, a $5.00 video, and shipping materials all in one place. No, I'm not saying that I bought all that, but I could if I had wanted to. BUT, I DID happened along these little makings, and since I was thinkin' of my sister, I just had to surprise the family with a yummy kid friendly lunch of little smokie's wrapped in blankets.



(i realize now, after looking at this picture, it looks a little disgusting...i assure you, it's all edible.)

You see, the boys were astonished one day at Auntie's house to find that this was something that was possible. And I was chastised that I had never made them before. She takes great pity on my boys, making sure they know what tater tots are and these tasty little treats. So, at lunch today, they were expecting the normal whole wheat bread with turkey, low fat swiss and LOTS of green stuff, when instead they got these little cuties. Oh, the happy dances and squeals of glee were many. But the best part was probably my sweetie's excitement when I put his plate in front of him. Had no idea he liked these things. But after tasting one, I realized that of course, anything that is this bad tasting would make a boy beg for more. Just wait till they have the nut and barley meat loaf for dinner. Yummy! Maybe I'll slip some spinach in there too. After that scrumptous lunch they are probably hoping for boxed Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for dinner. Ugh, I'm burping, little smokies. Not good.
Anyway, sister, hope you're having a great day. I tried, and you should be proud of me. My family thanks you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a different note. I got to go to the gym this morning then went to the store, all the while my sweetie was home in the office overseeing the boys schooling. This gives me great pleasure and excitement to be able to go out like all the other free sprited moms and do my grocery shopping ALONE! But when I got home, I remembered why I don't do this on a regular basis. Sweetie was in his office with the door closed and the boys were doing this! Yeah, lots of learning going on here today! UGH!!!!! That sweetie is fired!

(it's a puzzle, i realize it's hard to tell what they're doing!)



Yes, the puzzle is finished now, and it was only half way done to begin with. It was our snowy day acitivity over the weekend. It's 500 pieces. I only did maybe one little corner of it. I get way too hyped up with these things, as my mom can attest too. They love doing puzzles, and they are quite good at it. It doesn't help that both their grandma's love them too.