happily ever after: more God, less Me

Friday, June 12, 2009

more God, less Me

Something really great happened this morning, and I just have to share it with you. Do you just love it when God teaches you something so special.

About a month ago my friend Sue asked me to fill out a card with encouragement for her daughter, Jordan, for graduation from High School. She had asked a few of us to write notes to her and Sue was going to make a scrapbook for Jordan to have.

Being the procrastinator that I am, I left it till just this morning. I was suppose to have it to her a week ago, but I knew she was giving the scrap book to Jordan today. It wasn't that I just kept putting it off, it was more because I was wanting to have something profound and meaningful to say in the note. Something that would impress everyone, so they'd think I really was smart and wise. :o) I never came up with anything.

So as I sat down this morning with the note card, my Bible and pen in hand I finally caved and prayed. I asked God to please just give me words from Him that would really bless Jordan, that He would really show me what it was that He wanted for her.

As I opened my Bible and started turning to one of my favorite verses, this one jumped off the page at me. This passage, so perfect, so beautiful...

"My son (daughter), if your heart is wise,
then my heart will be glad;
my inmost being will rejoice
when your lips speak what is right.
Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but always be zealous for
the fear of the Lord.
There is surely a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.
Listen, my son (daughter), and be wise,
and keep your heart on the right path."
Proverbs 23:15-19


In the middle of writing down the verses I remembered a quote from a former Pastors' wife of ours. She used to mentor me; during church one morning, she wrote this down and passed it back to me, it is still taped to the inside of my Bible and is always such a good reminder for me.

'Continue growing in the Lord,
for it's the most attractive thing a woman can do.'
-Dianne Conniry


I was so thankful that the Lord brought these to me today, just so perfect to give to Jordan, and it's all from God and not a bit from me and my 'wisdom'. Even better I was able to share with Jordan this testimony of giving even the simplest of tasks to God, it's far better than what we could do on our own and He always comes through for us.

Hope you had a blessed Friday.