happily ever after: A Broken Leg, A Trip to California, Finding a New Home, & A Weekend in DC

Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Broken Leg, A Trip to California, Finding a New Home, & A Weekend in DC

Let's start at the beginning.


Remember, Calvin broke his leg/ankle. Good times. (But he got his cast off this past week and is now in one of those walking boots, progress.)

***


But this is how he pretty much looked while traveling. He got the royal treatment.


Brother, however, did not. He was our slave, and pack horse.


This is us on the way to the airport. Some of us were grumpy. I'm not saying who, but I think you can tell.

So then I made them take this picture,


ah, so much better, fakeness.

See these trees, it was the last of the fall colors we were going to see. By the time we got back, all of fall was going to be gone and we'd be met with winter bareness.


One thing about flying with an invalid, you get top priority in seating. This is Calvin and I sitting up front, after not having to wait to board.


And this is Jay & Dave, sitting and scrunched and grumpy from having to wait in line. They growled at us when they walked by. Goobers.


****

First stop in San Diego...


That would be In-N-Out Burger. The best, ever.

Dave fell in love with photography while we were there.


His beloved palm trees.


The pretty coast.


The beautiful sky line.

Geeze-Louise, it's a gorgeous city.

We had a family day in Coronado.







Love these guys.

****

Jay and Dave went on a hike up Mt. Woodson. (Calvin & I, did NOT.)


Aren't they handsome?


Oh.My.Word. What a poser.


Seriously? This is SO NOT OK!!!!!!


Daddy took the guys shooting one day. Calvin is a beast on the range.


Baby love with a gun. Ugh.


And on our last day in California, I got my nails done with my Mama and my neice. I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of my sister, my mama, my daddy, anyone. Very sad.

Highlights were, just being at Mama & Daddy's house, with everyone. Seeing and being with my seester. Dave teaching my Dad how to do the Gangnam Style Dance. Hanging with Sara & Mike in San Diego. Going to Vicki's house for games & dinner. Playing cards every night with Mom-in-law. Shopping with Mama. Being gone from 'life' for two weeks. So many good times.

****

We had one night at home, before leaving for Washington DC. But before that, we toured a few homes and found our new one.

(Here's the story of why we are moving...we were in a rent-to-own situation, but we finally knew that we weren't going to want to buy this house when our lease was up, but the owners had buyers that wanted it, and now would be great. We were okay with staying the full lease or moving early, so it worked out for all parties. I picked moving over the holidays, just because the boys and I will have a three week break from school and we don't have any family or traveling during that time either. So it works, plus, we found a great house and a REALLY great price.)

We move next weekend. And I will post pictures then.

****

Onto Washington DC. Some precious friends took us with them. They go all the time, and it was so great being with people that really know what to see, when to see it and how to get around. We had too much fun with them.


We stayed in National Harbor. Sweetie & I went on an early morning walk down to the water front and saw this sculpture. It kinda freaked me out. And then I noticed that it's actually a playground for kids to climb all over. That's just disturbing.


Sweetie looking all sleepy and handsome.


They had a beautiful tree by the water. And lots of fun shops.


The city really is beautiful.


We drove around the first night seeing all the monuments all lit up in the dark.


Roosevelt Memorial.


World War II Memorial. This one was VERY impressive.


Sweet Mikaila pushed Calvin around almost the entire weekend. (No, they don't like each other 'that way', they both have their own 'special someones', they are just good friends.)

When Mikaila wasn't pushing Calvin, this is what would happen.



Greyson rode with us the whole time and 'pretended' to be our tour guide and tell us about everything. He wasn't very good. But it did keep us laughing.


The best part for me was seeing Ford's Theater and viewing the museums about Lincoln. This is the balcony where Lincoln was shot. It was very weird sitting in this theater and just imagining it all.


We went through the Smithsonian Art Museum, they had all the Presidents and their portraits. Sweetie, with his favorite President.


Outside the FBI building. The boys wanted to tour it, but we were afraid they might just keep Dave & Greyson. So we kept walking.


Mimi and I in front of the Old Post Office Building. We went all the way up into that bell tower, very cool. Love this lady. She is wild and crazy and fun and we laugh WAY too much together.


I just love this place. Even if I don't like who is in the White House right now, I still am proud of my country, and all who fight so hard and have fought so hard to protect it and serve in it.


This memorial was awesome. Seeing it up close and in person.

Bob has read and learned so much about it, the history of the statue and all, I loved that he could share it all with us.


See how intrigued we all are?


The guys under the Air Force Memorial.


Just a cute picture of these two cutie-patooties in front of a stone wall.


The whole gang on the Mall. Thanks, Daniels, we love you and had such a great time!

****

Whew, that was the longest post ever. And now I've got to get to packing.

Happy Saturday everyone!